Thanks again for offering to host us at your Rio Rancho headquarters! As a brief background, Sean was in line to be Intel CEO in 2010. In March 2015, he will share the story of his recovery across USA by riding from San Francisco to New York. Part of this journey will be stops at cities to host events and rallies to primarily educate people, as well as provide free carotid artery ultrasound screens to attendees (a non-invasive procedure that can prevent 70% of strokes). This ride will also be done with American Heart Association, with the proceeds going towards stroke-reducing efforts. Michael says he will be available to join for March 30th and so we would like to hold the event then.
Events will be hosted during Sean's rest days. In this case, Sean and other cyclists will arrive in the city the day before (3-5pm). There will be one or two full rest days, with Sean and his team leaving the morning after (8am). The kickoff in Palo Alto will last for 1.5-2 hours. This could be a template, albeit much more customized to be of service first and foremost to Intel and its employees.
- Sean and crew biking into the event location
- A booth or location specifically designated for administering the ultrasound scans (Wellness Center?)
- Employee engagement and recognition from fundraising (if applicable)
- Exhibitions for various exercise options (spinning, yoga, etc)
- Healthy food and beverage for attendees
- American Heart Association resources available for attendees
- Recognition of heart disease and stroke survivors
- Booths for local businesses
- Bike shop exhibitions for helmet safety
- Can be indoors or outdoors
Sean will be providing ultrasound screenings for all event attendees for free. 70% of strokes are cause by a blocked carotid artery and can thus be prevented by spotting these blocks early and seeking necessary medical treatments. These will be Intima Media screens, which is a preliminary screen designed to measure the thickness of the innermost layer of the artery wall. Each screen will take anywhere from 5-6 minutes.
The equipment will be provided by Samsung Medical, be administered by trained sonographers and all checks will be supervised by a physician. These screens will be binary in that it's purpose will be to indicate whether the screen identified something that a person should follow up on with their physician. There will be a liability waiver to indicate that this test is only a screen and it is their responsibility to follow up with their physicians.